Saturday, January 5, 2008

My Hands Are Changing


I assume that if anyone reads this it's because you too are a "modern woman going through menopause." I include "modern" in my musings because women who've gone through this stage of "maturing" never could blog about it! And, I don't think they ever really talked about it either. So, I'm going to vent, rant, and "muse" with whoever wants to join me.

I chose to start today because I've noticed that my hands are changing. My husband helped me wrap some Christmas presents recently and commented, "Your hands look like your mom's." They do...my skin is wrinkley, my fingers look boney, and what once looked like freckles are surely age spots today.

Then, last night after a nice hot bath, I rubbed my hands over my face and was reminded (not for the first time) that my palms feel like sand paper. How come nobody ever told me that even the skin on your palms change?!

Plus, maybe due to overuse, but I can't really hold a pen/pencil anymore...my hand cramps up.
What's that about? Now I know why someone invented those really fat pens...remind me to put that on my list...which I'll probably forget. I'll muse about my memory another day...if I remember.

I want to "grow old gracefully" but I can honestly see why men do a better job at this than women. My husband's hands don't look that different and he's older than I am! He keeps warning me that when I turn 50 (which is right around the corner) I'll understand some of the changes he has experienced. I smile, nod my head, and wipe the sweat from my brow, face, upper lip and wonder if his hot-flashes have started yet. But, that's for another day, another blog.



1 comment:

Roberta said...

There are days when I think I'm 'through' with this change process and then, suddenly, without warning, the room heats up, my nerves fray, and everyone in my pressence is just a pure annoyance. I guess I need to expect this to go on a bit longer. My apologies to those who are the recipients of my crazy moods. Bless them with understanding.