Thursday, January 17, 2008

Everybody's Talking About It -- Is That A Good Thing?

Is it because the "boomer" generation is large in number, or am I just sensitive to the fact that anyone and everyone who is over 45 talks about getting old? At the chiropractor's office I overheard a conversation between two women who hadn't seen each other for awhile. They caught up the usual things -- recent moves, mutual friends, increasing aches and pains, and grandchildren. One woman had one grandchild and one on the way, the other didn't have any yet and relished the moment, "Now I am finally younger than everyone else -- I'm not a grandmother yet!"

Do you notice this too?

I attend a lot of college-student gatherings. Invariably every 'older' speaker is quick to mention age in one way or the other. "In 1979 when I attended college none of you were even born yet." Or, "It's really nice for you to ask someone to speak who's old enough to be your parent."


I've decided to work hard at not mentioning the OBVIOUS fact that I'm older.

A young friend of mine who is living in a new town was bemoaning the fact that she's yet to find peers to spend time with. She explained that her youngest friend is 39 "Which is refreshing," she said because, "At least I'm not dealing with my older menopausal friends who are having hot flashes." I can imagine her 'older' friends must share all the ups and downs of these uncontrollable changes that are happening to their bodies.


It helps to commiserate, but maybe it's best to share with women our own age.

As I sympathized with her difficult situation (!) I breathed a sigh of relief, glad that my menopausal condition didn't surface at that moment. And, I held my tongue. I refrained from launching into a long exposition
on the true frustrations that accompany "the change". Somehow I don't think she'd be interested.

So, I'll pick my audience with care and mutter about it with whoever is willing to listen.

No comments: